**I haven’t updated this in a while, but I really like the stories here, so I decided to leave it.**
Obviously Daily (1)
The little things are exciting. The little things, after all, are what make up the big things. Each little step that is taken leads closer to the final destination.
I find myself downright giddy about the little things. I was told a few months ago that people are too busy with their own lives to focus on the little things that happen in our ministry. That posts about the daily events are too burdensome for people to keep up with. I didn’t believe it then and after having some time to stew on it, I don’t believe it even more now. You guys have told me over and over and over again how much you love seeing God work. And so do I.
Lately I have been using the phrase “obviously daily” to describe God’s movement in Countryside. He is showing up obviously on a daily basis.
Now, there are some skeptics who may say that the things I am talking about are not “God things”. Maybe they are too little, or too mundane, or too normal, or too silly. I don’t (and won’t) believe it. I believe that He works in the smallest things and in the smallest ways sometimes and for different reasons. Sometimes it is to build up to something bigger. Sometimes it is to give us confirmation that we are in the right place. Sometimes it is for protection. Sometimes it is just to give us a hug.
So, with all that being said, I wanted to start a weekly edition of Obviously Daily. I will even create a link at the top of the page for easier access to them all. I want to be able to look back and see God’s hand at work in my life.
But most of all I want you to realize that God is working Obviously Daily in your life, too. I challenge you to be watchful for it. Keep your eyes peeled. You might just see God in the little things.
1) Grant was walking a Kindergartener home one afternoon. She looked up at him and said, “You know what? Christian people talk so much nicer than other people.”
2) We came home today and a neighborhood man was cutting up the fallen branches in our yard. He and Grant spent the rest of the afternoon pulling all the dead branches out of the tree so he could use them as firewood.
3) A Hispanic lady from the neighborhood comes to Homework Helpers every Tuesday and Thursday to help out her community.
4) While I helped the neighbor boy with his homework last night, his mom cleaned my house (despite my begging her not to).
5) A sweet friend of mine sent me these books because she loves Stormie, loves books, and knows I love books! I opened the box while this kid was here. He was more excited than I was. My heart grew when I saw him in the recliner reading one of the books. If you only knew his story.
How has God worked in your life today?
1) Last night we got a text from a young man that we spent all summer with, but haven’t seen hardly any since school started in August. He wanted us to pray for his mom because she was having stomach pains and was heading to the emergency room. We have prayed for this kid many times, hoping to rekindle the relationship and have the chance to pour into his teenage life. It was a blessing to know that he turned to us for prayer in a time of need.
2) A friend heard we were inviting neighbors over weekly as part of our 2014 Vision and took me to Sam’s yesterday to do some major grocery shopping–TWO carts full–and she picked up the bill. God provides our EVERY.SINGLE.NEED!
3) BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) is back in full-swing and God has given me a group of about 400 women to study and grow with–and a small group of about 12 to learn with and lean on. And the kid’s program is fantastic, too! He is so faithful in providing just what we need (and even what we want)!
4) We gained THREE more volunteers this week for our growing Homework Helpers! Maybe soon we can open up another day! Yippie!
5) And speaking of Homework Helpers, my mom and dad came for a visit yesterday and were able to help with homework! What a blessing to have them jump into a huge part of our ministry here in Countryside! (And no, they are not 2 of the 3 new volunteers.)
What is God doing in your life today?